fear and love

 i remember in college a dear friend who is exactly 10 years and 3 days older than me told me that it's either fear or love that makes people act. i even included this line in a song i wrote years after called, "i miss you". the line goes something like, "its either fear or it's love that directs what we do in our lives. and i'm almost always afraid. i miss you." of course, i wrote that song about my boyfriend at the time who was constantly on tour.

i've been posting great quotes on over coming fear on my facebook wall, recently. here are a few: 

"Flowers grow out of darker moments." Corita Kent

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our
deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light
not our darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves 'who am I to be
brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.  Marianne Williamson

Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself. ~ Samuel Butler 

i really like that last one, it's very tantric in the sense that if we're able to hear ourselves, then we can hear the divine sound of god inside of us. that's yoga - the science of self knowledge. we have to hear ourselves, know ourselves, see ourselves.

i've got a huge life challenge i'm facing in the next few months and i finally feel ready to reduce the static of fear so i can hear myself better and evolve. my dharma (purpose) on earth is to evolve and to help others evolve. i am limiting myself by letting fear hold me down. 

abhinivesa is the fear of death in yoga talk and we all have a big mean streak of this in our spines. if we're secure in our after lives, then this fear should be minimal. self evolution has to come with just the right amount of fear if you want to survive. but in order to thrive, abhinivesa must go out of style like the sony walkman